Sprouts is Giving Back
Through my partnership with Sprouts and their grand opening of their first Washington store in Mill Creek, I learned some really awesome things about what they do behind the scenes that takes healthy living outside the store and into the community.
Sprouts gives back to communities through local nonprofit organizations, food banks, and service groups, working to create a healthier, happier, and better world. See below for ways they give back:
- Zero Waste - Sprouts aims to eliminate waste by 2020 by recovering food and recyclables from their waste stream. Last year they were able to have an overall diversion rate of 55%!
- Food Rescue - Sprouts brings a whole new interpretation to the food chain. Any groceries that are no longer fit for sale (but are otherwise perfectly edible and nutrient-rich) are donated to hunger relief agencies, many of which are affiliated with Feeding America. The food is then distributed to the people in the community. Food that is not fit for these agencies are used as cattle feed in local cattle ranches and dairy farms (nutrient-rich foods = healthier, happier cows). If not fed to cattle, the food is then donated as compost in order to enrich soil with nutrients rather than get tossed into landfills. Grocery Store to Communities to Farms to Earth - a unique but very effective food chain.
- Grab 'N' Give - Holiday food drives! Last year, Sprouts provided more than 2 MILLION meals to local families through their annual food drive.
- Donations & Recovery Efforts - Remember Hurricane Harvey and Irma? Sprouts and their partners donated over 16,000 pounds of food and water to communities affected by these devastating disasters, along with raising $350,000 for the American Red Cross.
Vitamin Angels is an organization that helps at-risk populations, primarily pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five find access to vitamins and minerals that are crucial for their health and wellbeing. They reach underserved communities across the United States AND in 74 countries around the world! I encourage you to check out their website for more information, but see below some of the awesome things Vitamin Angels and Sprouts have helped these women and children.
- Infant Mortality - Newborn mortality is a huge problem. About 7,000 babies die EVERY DAY, and 80% of these deaths are preventable. Sprouts is working with Vitamin Angels to fight vitamin deficiency diseases and bringing prenatal vitamins to moms around the world.
- Improved Health - Since 2014, Sprouts and Vitamin Angels were able to improve the health of over 6 million children by providing them with vitamin A and deworming tablets, and you better believe they aren't done yet!
- SHOP AT SPROUTS - You can help without even trying! During the Vitamin Angels campaign at Sprouts this month, if you buy any one of more than 1,000 participating items in the store, 25 cents will be donated to Vitamin Angels, and yes, multiples count, too. You might think 25 cents is pocket change, but every penny counts, and Vitamin Angels can turn 25 cents into an impactful and lasting change.
Sprouts Mill Creek: 13314 Bothell Everett Highway, Mill Creek, WA 98012