Hummus & Greens Toast
I am not a huge fan of hummus, but I go through phases where I want to like it and buy a tub at the store and end up throwing away 3/4 of the container after it sat in the fridge for a week or two past the expiration date. I don't hate it, but I don't find myself reaching for it all the time. This is actually a simple but very healthy breakfast or pre-workout snack that you can throw together in just a few minutes. Looks like it took longer than 5 minutes, though, doesn't it?
- 2 slices of whole grain bread (or bread of choice), toasted
- 2 tbs garlic hummus (or other preferred flavor)
- 2 large handful of spinach
- 2 spears of asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 small lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Wash and pat dry your asparagus and spinach leaves. Chop your asparagus into small chunks, slightly smaller than "bite sized." Add your asparagus and spinach to a small bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a small lemon onto your greens, and sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well to coat your greens.
- Toast your bread and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus on each slice.
- Top with your mixed greens.
- Sprinkle your toasted sesame seeds on top (crush them between your fingers as you go) for an added flavor boost!